What Is A Health Coach?
You may have heard the term “health coach” popping up & appearing randomly in magazine articles and on TV. However, I often find when I tell someone that I’m a health coach, they have absolutely no idea what I’m talking about.
Health and wellness coaches are popping up in loads of practices now like doctor’s offices, spas, gyms and private practices. They often offer services and fill gaps that doctors, nutritionists and dieticians don’t have the time or resources to fill.
The Institute for Integrative Nutrition, the largest nutrition school and they define a health coach as
“A wellness authority and supportive mentor who motivates individuals to cultivate positive health choices.”
Health coaches educate and support clients to achieve their health goals through lifestyle and behavior adjustments.
To put it simply, health coaches like me are highly educated guides in the fields of nutrition, wellness, bio-individuality and mentoring.
Many people think that being healthy is a combination of being skinny, lean, or having abs, eating well and exercising, taking all the supplements and getting enough sleep. I believe there is much more to it that is often overlooked.
When studying to become a certified Integrative Nutrition Health Coach, I was taught that health isn’t just about what’s on our plate and what you see in the mirror. We are also (and most importantly) fed by our relationships, our career, how we move our body, how we speak to ourselves & even the people we surround our selves with.
SO WHAT DOES A HEALTH COACH DO?
- A health coach Is a wellness authority and supportive mentor who will motivate you to cultivate positive health choices.
- The job of a coach is to guide you in making small and sustainable changes to improve your health & life both on and off your plate.
- She will work with you to come up with a way of eating that is nutritious, easy and enjoyable for YOUR body and lifestyle. There will be no restriction or eating foods that you don’t enjoy the taste of.
- A good coach will give you the tools to navigate through your health & life without the need to resort to crazy diets, punishing workout routines or drastic lifestyle changes.
- A health coach is there to for prevention, not intervention, to help lessen the likely hood of preventable disease in the future.
- She will nurture your emotional well-being and help you to handle stress in ways that work for you.
- She is that guide on the side to help you reach YOUR true potential.
WHAT DOESN’T SHE DO?
- A Health Coach is not a nutritionist, dietician or a Dr (unless they have completed further study in these fields)
- A Health coach does not diagnose conditions, prescribe medications or recommend lower or higher doses of your current medications.
- Many health coaches are not Personal Trainers (although some, like ME, are certified in personal training), so it is very important to know what certifications your coach holds if she is recommending specific exercises for you.
- A health coach is not a drill sergeant. We do not scream orders at you, or berate you for not meeting goals in a specified amount of time. We understand that life happens, and we work with you and support you in every way we can to achieve optimal wellness
NOT EVERYONE NEEDS A HEALTH COACH, BUT LOOK AT IT THIS WAY!
Every football team has coaches, your local “fitspo” has a coach, your local Pilates studio or Crossfit/F45 gym has an instructor guiding you and many people hire personal trainers to help them achieve their goals.
None of these coaches do the actual work, they do just what they’re trained to – GUIDE YOU.
I am not surprised that most people get lost and confused with all the conflicting information out there. Juice is good for you / juice has too much sugar. Broccoli is the healthiest green veg / Broccoli causes cancer. Meat is full of nutrients / meat is difficult to digest and rots in your gut. Dairy is a good source of calcium / diary is mucus forming and intended only for calves. And the latest: Coconut oil is one of the healthiest foods on the planet / Coconut oil causes high cholesterol & CVD
I WILL TAKE YOUR HAND AND SUPPORT YOU IN FINDING OUT WHAT IS THE RIGHT FIT FOR YOUR LIFE. NOT ONLY IN THE FOOD YOU CONSUME, BUT THE MINDSET YOU EMPLOY WHILE YOU NAVIGATE THIS WILD RIDE WE CALL LIFE!
If you’re feeling like you need some support and someone to hold you accountable to your own health journey,
Flick me an email and we can book in a FREE Health Goals session to see if I’m the right coach for you
For more info about my programs